Sunday, February 12, 2006

the worst ride ever!

*Le sigh*

I would have to say today's ride out in Hockley, TX (~40 mi. from downtown) was pretty disheartening for the following reasons:
  • It was 30-something degrees. Must I say more? I don't think the cold affected me physically as it did mentally. Totally psyched me out and got me started on a bad attitude. I found it difficult to go nearly as quickly as I went the week before in Rosenberg where I averaged 16 mph.
  • I got chased by dogs not once, but TWICE. The first time I was chased by two hunting dogs that circled my bike. I don't think I've ever sprinted so fast in my whole entire life. My cadence probably went up to 150 rpm. I wanted to spray them with water but I had no water in my water bottle. The second time I was chased by a dog that backed down when yelled at.
  • I got lost not once, but TWICE. I was lucky the first time I got lost because a couple of other cyclists made the same mistake by missing a turn. Good thing because my map had fallen out of my pocket. I wasn't so lucky the 2nd time. Another cyclist and myself missed a turn which resulted in a 10-mile detour. THAT was the most discouraging part of the ride. The road to get back on track felt like it was a 45 degree incline (it really wasn't that bad) and there was a HUGE headwind. I tired so quickly and was relieved when a SAG vehicle found us. Ends up we were the only ones left on the road. I didn't finish the ride -- we still had 20 more miles to go! It's all good though.. I still rode for about 36 miles.

Anyhow. On a more positive note, I'm thankful for friendly SAG support. It's so great to have volunteers come out in the EARLY morning, far, far away in the cold. That's fantastic.

I also got "my" bike from this:

to this:

Hoorah for fold-down seats!

On ANOTHER positive note, as of Friday, I have raised $1135! A *HIGH FIVE* to my supporters! Thanks to you, I have reached my goal of exceeding $1000! (Don't let that stop you, my potential contributors!) I have received AMAZING support from my family, friends and coworkers -- it's a really good feeling. It's quite motivating and I will keep on keeping-on despite today's experience.

Hopefully it will warm up next weekend. I miss the 60s/70s Houston winter weather we've been getting. Cheers to a good ride next weekend out in Brookshire!

No comments: