Sunday, March 30, 2008

century ride

Today was the day that I completed THE long ride before the MS150 - the century ride. I was nervous prior to the ride for the following reasons:


  1. I only rode one ride this month -- it was 47 miles AND I wasn't performing optimally.

  2. The last century ride i completed was about 2 years ago.

I even have proof of completion! Ok, ok. It's not EXACTLY 100 miles but CLOSE ENOUGH. It might as well have been with the monsterous head and cross winds we experienced. it IS over a METRIC century!

However, I was in great company. Many thanks to Tom, Brittany, Alicia, Wade, Mario, and Brett for the conversation, "CRACKS!", and allowing me to draft at the back of the paceline. Cycling really is a social sport and it's a great motivator knowing that we were all spinning for a common cause.

The ride itself was not as bad as I envisioned. During the last century ride I completed, I was shaking and weak at mile 87. This time around, I felt great the whole way, managed to keep a nice cadence, and was able to carry on a conversation for MOST of the ride. I even got a chance to enjoy the beautiful Texas countryside.



The only downside about riding through Houston at this time of year is the tree pollen. I have pretty bad allergies to those elements. So bad that when I was in college, one of my peers called me "Allergy" because of my puffy eyes. I digress. I was sneezing for a good part of the ride, especially in the oak infested areas. So towards the end of the ride, I thought, "Wow, my forehead stings. I think I'm sunburned." I get into my car, look in the mirror, and discover hives all over my face and neck. You'll notice in the group picture above that my face looks really pink. It's a nice combination of cardio flush and hives.

After completing this ride, I think I'm ready for the MS150. Well, I better be! The MS150 is less than 2 weeks away. Let's all hope for a nice tailwind to push us to Austin. :)

No comments: